Monday, March 23, 2009

Monday Update #4


Where am I now?  In our condo, sitting on the floor while my wife bakes english tea sweets for a school project and my sister-in-law, Reenie, plays bejeweled and listens to her iPhone music.

How was last week? It was an AMAZING week!  (1) We had a great Guys Group last Tuesday...they really opened up and share their lives as we discussed how to lead a godly life as a man. (2) Went up to Biola for some of Missions Conference with Kaitlin and Megan as well as doing some work for the easter production at PCI. (3) Student Leadership Retreat was so absolutely, totally AWESOME!!!  Our team grew together in such great ways (i'll post pics or something soon). God really showed us what he wants us to do in our group.  The students were so open to the Spirit!  (4) Church was great on Sunday morning.  My small group guys (10th-12th graders) really connected with the message and had a ton to say!  (5) Lunch with my grandma and grandpa Bob at Javier's! So delicious.  (6) A very restful nap with my wife! 

What is God teaching me right now?  God is still teaching me a lot in this "Leadership 101" phase.  I am discovering how he has created me to lead, what he has entrusted me with, and how to practice "self-leadership."  I have journal pages filled with things God has taught me on this subject this week alone.  I am very thankful and empowered by what he is teaching me!

What am I excited for this week?  Purpose Driven Youth Ministry Conference starts tomorrow and runs through Friday.  Mark and I are attending... although I'm sure we'll be the youngest attenders there, it will be a blast! I can't wait to just sit back, relax, and learn. 

What is something random from the last week?  Shoot, just one?  Not possible.  (1) Mikey (a youth group student at the retreat) was sleeping and the other guys decided to smack him with pillows in the face.  He wasn't too happy ... (2) I am still sore all over from glow in the dark capture the flag on Saturday night ... (3) Recently I have been using the word "magic" to describe things that are so awesome and amazing that I find myself at a loss for words.  I have even had to stop myself from saying it while preaching (like when something God does is so awesome I just want to say "God is so magic!"). Well, while we were praying with our adult and student leaders before Church on Sunday, I accidentally prayed for something related to "magical places." Everyone laughed ... (4) And Kaitlin cut her hair short! It's so hot!

What music have I been enjoying recently? Remedy by David Crowder Band

What books am I reading? I just finished Courageous Leadership by Bill Hybels today.  I also got four C.S. Lewis books at the used bookstore for $1.  Haven't read them yet, though.  

What am I reading is God's Word?  Philippians, still.  Also, 1 Timothy (kind of along the whole leadership theme). 

How can I reach others this week?  I think this week will be a time of reaching others in ministry.  I hope to ENCOURAGE other pastors and youth ministry staff at PDYM conference and spend some good quality time with Mark.  

1 comment:

Carrie Allen said...

4 books for a dollar?! NICE!