Thursday, July 10, 2008

Cries for the Kingdom

Today it all came crashing down on me in a moment of Divine revelation.  Well, maybe just a good chunk of the puzzle was just pieced together.  Ya, I like that one more.  Anyway, here is how it went: This morning, after reading a bit of Thomas Schreiner's "New Testament Theology" (concerning the miracles of Jesus as signs of the Kingdom of God being present and that Jesus is King), I decided to open up to Mark 5:1-20 (where Jesus heals the demon-possessed man).  I had a great time of reflection and praise for the fact that Jesus brings the fulfillment of the Old Testament expectations that God would begin to rule on the earth, binding the evil and bringing healing to his people.  I personalized this and meditated on the reign of Christ in my life and the healing that he brings.  However, in concentrating on the presence of the Kingdom in the ministry of Jesus and how that still continues today, I was quickly moved from a time of rejoicing to a time of deep sorrow and lamentation.  I realized how many things surrounding my life are broken and how those are still parts of this world that await the final consummation of the Kingdom of God: broken families, poverty, addiction, death, and sickness (both spiritual and physical).  This created a somber rhythm the rest of the day.  There was goodness in meditating on that which awaits fulfillment, for my prayer became "Your Kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven."  

3 comments:

Cami said...

Beautiful post, beautiful picture. Thank you for sharing this!

P.S. I'm in the midst of listening to your sermon! (I got it from Kaitlin's blog)

Carrie Allen said...

mmmm, Amen.

S G said...

amen.
Still not a fan of inaugurated eschatology... well kinda... I just hate the not yet-ness.