Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Summer Camp 2008


Last week, I ventured up to Centrifuge Camp near Yosemite and Lake Tahoe with 14 highschoolers and 2 other leaders. It was and amazing time of crazy activities, great conversation, and inspiring worship. I feel like our group grew a lot closer, especially the guys.


The Funny Things of the Trip:
  • "Holy Grounds" Coffee Shop.  I mean c'mon... really?!  I thought "Common Grounds" at Biola way bad, but Holy Grounds?!?!
  • OCYPG.  Also known as "Orange County Youth Pastor Girl."  She was a youth worker who actually looked like a male youth pastor.  Strange...
  • "WOW!"  This was the phrase of the week, especially with the guys.  Ever put two "W" signs on either side of your open mouth?  It makes the word "WOW."  If you turn your "W's" upside down, you have the word "MOM."  Twitch back and forth and you have the sentence, "WOW MOM WOW!"  This was our silent volleyball cheer.  Excellent. 
  • "Anyone like Jazz?"  During the talent show (for the campers to perform), a middle-aged mom (who was a counselor, I guess) got up and performed a mediocre vocal jazz number.  It was awkward. 
  • Pillow Fight.  Think blood.  Lots of it.  And crazy highschool boys.  Some with shoes in their pillow cases.  Other just swinging pillows out of masculine rage, but failing to make and contact whatsoever.  After the fight, there was a gracious and loving "Congratulations!" and "Good fight, man!"  Wow!  Guys are so much different than girls! 


The Spiritual Highlights/Quotes from  Our Students:
  • "I finally know exactly where I am with the Lord.  I know I'm not perfect, but I am starting to be secure in my identity as a Christian."  This is such an honest response.  So many of us try to deny where we are in relation to God.  This student understands where he is.  This is the first step to spiritual growth.
  • "For the first time, I feel secure in my salvation.  I know exactly where I would go if I died today."  This was such a moment for this student.  I saw how frightened he was when he wasn't secure in his salvation, but Jon (our other counselor) took him through some scripture and prayed with him.  God's Word reassured his salvation.  Praise Him!
  • "I feel so comfortable taking off my mask and being real."  This has been my heart for these students: to see them be real with who they are to themselves, others, and God.  This trip was marked by authenticity and "taking off masks."  It was amazing.  
  • "We are all so different, but we are like a big family.  I feel like we all have each others' backs!"  This realization came from the guys in our group after the huge pillow fight with other churches.  They guys caught a vision of community, brotherhood, and journeying with each other.  


Praise God for the work that he is doing in and through our group.  The students have come away more missional-minded, community-focused, and self-aware.  I personally have come away from camp with deeper relationships and a more clear vision for leading our group.  Seeing the transformation in the lives of the students is what fuels ministry for me.  I am so blessed with an awesome group and that the Lord has allowed me to take part in and witness the great work of His Kingdom!  

2 comments:

Carrie Allen said...

The quotes from your students are great!

Dude, beware of talent shows...I have some funny stories I can tell you about student talent shows...oh gosh...

yazz said...

this is so great!!


GUESS WHAT... you can now leave comments on my blog.