Thursday, July 31, 2008

Yesterday, A Day of Encouragement

Full time ministry is trying, draining, and full of unexpected surprises.  I highly doubt that any person involved in this kind of life does not face the discouragement from self, satan, or others.  Let's face it, we do NOT live in a perfect world.  Discouragement and failure are inevitable. This post is not a downer... it's an upper!  

Since ministry is often a "high-risk" discouragement, it is important to fill yourself with the encouragement of God, His Word, and other people. Yesterday, I was graciously brought to three people I respect and admire, all of whom encouraged me and brought joy to my life.

  1. Matt McGill.  Matt was one of my high school youth pastor at Saddleback church.  He is one of those people who have found the carful balance of academic/intelligent Christianity and servant ministry.  I respect him a lot.  I ran into him at Starbucks.  It has been a long time since I talked to him, but hearing his encouragement concerning youth ministry and seeing where God has been leading him was awesome.
  2. Dr. Yoshikawa.  My awesome greek professor of 2 years, now currently my New Testament Theology professor.  We met to discuss Schreiner's New Testament Theology and talk about our ministry experiences.  His encouragement came out of his successes and failures.  I value his words and was uplifted by his exhortations.  
  3. Katie Powell.  My boss and Resident Director last year.  I served on her RA staff and we had so much fun.  I caught up with her life this summer and talked about mine.  We discussed "Vision."  I love vision.  It gives us purpose and direction.  I am totally excited for Katie's vision for South Horton Dorm next year! 
God is faithful to keep us going!  Yesterday he showed me that he uses others to encourage me  a lot.  I hope to be the same kind of encouragement to others.  

3 comments:

S G said...

"perspective... everyone should have one, you know what I mean?"

haha... good times

Now I'm excited to hear Katie's vision... I'm not Deb, so don't worry I'm not even going to try and get you to tell me what her vision is. :)

Carrie Allen said...

I knooow....church life can be crazy...

Kaitlin said...

"This post is not a downer... it's an upper! "

i just started laughing when i read this