Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Grace for a Slob


This is what I look like today.
Greasy, unwashed hair.
Stubble.
Twice-worn, coffee-stained t-shirt.
Faded sweatshirt with bleach stains.
Oh, and I didn't brush me teeth for the first few hours in public. 

I say all this, not to be dramatic or materialistic (which I probably am). 
I'm not about to say,"I know I don't look good, so don't judge me!"
I'm not intentionally dressing down to look cool either. 
I bring this up because as I saw what I looked like and thought, "I am a slob!"
Not only in my appearance, but also in my heart. And mind.
But regardless, God loves me and chooses to work in and through a slob.

In working through the book of Numbers for Old Testament Theology,
I have noticed the same idea.
Numbers could also be called "The Suckiness of Israel"
That's all the book is: an account of the ways that Israel failed to obey God.
The God who saved them out of Egypt!

But God still worked in and through them.
He kept his word to bring them to the promised land!
He keeps his word to us.
He gives us grace, even though we suck.
I'm a slob.
And I still receive grace. 
Praise the Lord!

2 comments:

Mark Dodd said...

i love numbers

Carrie Allen said...

Duuuuude, I look like crap too. Seriously, like, I need to wash my hair, but I am convinced I don't have time to wash it until tomorrow night...well, tonight now.

I keep praying for money to show up in my mailbox so I can actually get a hair cut...

I'm such a slob right now...I hate it.