Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thursday Morning Sabbath




Espresso. Bible. Creation. Relevant Magazine. Worship Music. My ideal Sabbath. I began the morning by sleeping in. (Something much needed due to being sick!) While my espresso was brewing, I took a walk around my backyard.

I thanked the Lord for His artistic beauty- the use of color, shape, and texture.

The flowers in bloom are a reminder of Spring's offerings- newness, life, and joy!

Thank you Lord for sharing your beauty with us!

"Flowers appear in the earth; the season of singing has come..." (Song of Sol. 2:12)

After reading an article in Relevant Magazine on "Gorging on Jesus," I sat down to sip on espresso and the Word.  The Lord convicted and encouraged my heart with the following Scripture:

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice!
Let your reasonableness be known to everyone.
The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, 
but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving
let your requests be made known to God.
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding,
will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."
(Philippians 4:4-7)

The "do not be anxious" part is what is the most convicting.  I find myself anxious with floods of thoughts concerning job security and financial future for Kaitlin and I.  The Lord plainly spoke to my heart as I was asking to see His heart: Josh, do you desire job security, even in ministry, more than you desire ME? Wow!  What a wake up call!  

We also have no reason to be anxious over the circumstances, trials, warfare, and suffering in our lives.  I know this is the hardest thing to understand and incline our hearts towards during difficult times, but we MUST TRUST God's promise in His Word: And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus!

God, give me the peace for all situations. Teach me to incline my heart to Yours.  May my moments be saturated with prayer, ever relying on You!  You give me life to the full, strength for the battle, and words of truth to exhort others.  May I not take lightly life in You! 

1 comment:

Carrie Allen said...

what a great wakeup call!! what you said here definitely touched my heart as well.