Wednesday, November 12, 2008

4am Diagnosis

So I woke up at 3:55am this morning and could not go back to be for the life of me!!!  I tried and tried, but my ear was hurting so badly.  I have yet to see the antibiotics kick in.  Since I couldn't catch any z's I decided to research my symptoms.  My findings were as follows:
  • My Parotid gland is swollen
  • My ear hurts and itches
  • Other glands surrounding my ear are inflamed 
What does this all equal?  Otitis externa?  Check wikipedia...

Otitis externa ("swimmer's ear") is an inflammation of the outer ear and ear canal. Along with otitis media, external otitis is one of the two human conditions commonly called "earache". It also occurs in many other species. Inflammation of the skin of the ear canal is the essence of this disorder. The inflammation can be secondary to dermatitis (eczema) only, with no microbial infection, or it can be caused by active bacterial or fungal infection. In either case, but more often with infection, the ear canal skin swells and may become painful and/or tender to touch.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Ehhhh.
If this came on with a cold (and you are not a big swimmer right now), then I'm voting for _otitis media_ instead.

Which antibiotics rarely help with, since the blood flow to the inner ear is not great.

Sorry, man. Back to the orange juice.

S G said...

shut up... I have those EXACT symptoms! They told me it was just allergies... although I think the nurse at the health center was REALLY disappointed when my mono test came back negative. Hope you feel better soon!