Friday, September 26, 2008

Help me out here!

Okay, I am really struggling with this question and I want to get some responses, so please help me out!

Is it Biblical for us to aim to be "relevant" in reaching people or are we trying to take over the Holy Spirit's role of convicting them and inclining their hearts to Jesus?

I see two or three possibilities:
  1. Yes, we need to be relevant in the culture, doing all we can to be "in the world, but not of it" and bringing Jesus to people.
  2. No, we are to preach the word of God and leave the conversions up to the Holy Spirit.  We cannot make Christianity look cool, because the Gospel is offensive and Scripture doesn't show people focusing on relevance.  
  3. Both.  I hate this answer.  It seems to be the easy way out.  I just don't see both possibilities equal.  One has to be more important.  ...I think.... actually i really don't know...That's why I'm asking YOU!
Help me out here... PLEASE!

1 comment:

Cami said...

No! It is not our job to be relevant. When Jesus preached, he didn't sugarcoat things and then ease His way into it. Same with the apostles when you read through Acts. They said things like it is- they preached, rebuked, and prayed with boldness and confidence in Gospel truth. Nothing more, nothing less.