Saturday, August 9, 2008

Olympics Opening Ceremony

The opening ceremony was incredible.  It was one of the most artistic performances I have seen in a while.  There was a little bit of everything: pop stars, human calligraphy, modern dance, classical chinese costumes, drums, lights, flying people, and fireworks!  With all of this glitz and glam, I was a little troubled.  I got the impression that the whole 16,000-person performance was one big facade attempting to cover up the pain and suffering of so many people in China.  There has been a lot of controversy surrounding the Olympics in China and I believe that there should be concern!  I have heard that the country has spent billions of dollars to "cover up" the parts of the city that are not so great.  I am interested to see what these 17 days of Olympic games holds for the world and what will transpire.  I see this magnificent performance having a ot to do with Christianity.  We too easily put on performances for people and for God.  It's so dumb, but we all fall prey to it.  I pray that we wouldn't try to put up facades in our own lives to cover up the messy parts.  God wants to do amazing things with our weaknesses.  If only we would all let Him. 

1 comment:

oomerfoo said...

seriously. especially about Christianity. there are no actual churches in China except ones that are called 3-part churches that are organized by the government.


ah chinese people. full of superstitions, good detailed artistry, and hardcore traditions and secrets. :P