Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Why "Prior Grace" is So Difficult

(I knew that this title would at least grab Carrie's attention)

Dr. Lunde (My professor for Jesus' Life and Ministry) emphasizes this whole idea of "Prior Grace" in his class.

What is "Prior Grace"?  Boy, I'm sure glad you asked.  "Prior Grace" is the notion that grace from God precedes (and later leads to) a demand for obedience.  This is evident in both the New and Old Testament, as well as our lives today.  

In the Garden of Eden, there is provision, position in the created order, companions, and communion with God.  These things preceded the command to fill the earth and subdue it.

In the wilderness during the Exodus, God rescued the Hebrew nation out of Egypt.  This preceded the Law.  

On the cross, there is forgiveness and grace.  Grace precedes good works. 

All we can do is receive this grace.  Adam didn't achieve grace because he exercised good dominion over plants and animals.  The Hebrews didn't merit the salvation from Egypt because they were in a covenantal relationship with Yahweh and following the Law.  I do not deserve grace because I am a "good Christian."

So why is Prior Grace such a difficult concept for us to grasp?  I think because it goes against our very nature as human beings and the culture in which we live.  Our world tells us that we are to do, do, do, do, do! Our culture defines who we are by what we do.  It is so much more difficult, at least for me, to sit back, knowing that there is absolutely nothing that I can do to achieve grace-- all I can do is receive it.  

Right now in my journey, I am learning the beauty of God's grace and the reality of my own powerlessness.  My finally feeble hands are emerging from the dust and ashes to receive the free gift of grace from God-- and what a joy it is to truly understand that I play no part in earning the Grace-gift. 


1 comment:

Carrie Allen said...

ya ya ya!!!
That was my favorite lecture!!! Okay, lies, they are ALL my favorite lectures!!!

But seriously, prior grace in the OT, whoever really tries to make a point about that?! His book is going to be amazing! So that's right all you people out there who want to steal this idea...it's already copyrighted :)

this is my favorite quote from Dr. Lunde that I meditate on often:

"Grace fails legalism, but it fuels righteousness"

booyah!