Monday, January 25, 2010

Painting Galaxies: Redeeming Culture with the Gospel

So for about two years, my blog has been named Painting Galaxies. I had no good reason for the title other than I thought it sounded cool and captured a creativity that I possess but have difficulty harnessing.

God, in his grace, has recently shown me a new aspect of the title, Painting Galaxies, which has set me a new direction for this blog*. It has to do with what the body of Christ should do to culture: Redeem it. This shows up in a powerful way in Acts 19 when the idol-makers of Ephesus are outraged that the truth of Jesus has shut down their business. CRAZY! Christians changed the economy!!!

This radical, Gospel-centered, Christ-exalting purpose for the Church has not changed. We need to be doing this in our jobs, with our marriages, with our investments, friendships, free time, Facebook accounts, and care for the poor.

Like the Church in Acts 19, saying "no" is only half the witness. In fact, the more powerful witness is what we say "yes" to.

Turn from the idols of culture and run to Jesus. He is the only King.



* Lord willing, I plan to blog a series on different ways we can redeem culture called, "REDEEM IT"


1 comment:

chrispoblete said...

Josh... do it! Start that blog series. I would totally link to that.