Friday, October 26, 2007

Beauty

"Beauty is not democratic; she reveals herself more to the few than to the many..." (C.S. Lewis)

God has recently been speaking to me in the beautiful things. I use the word to describe a lot of things. Some might think that I overuse it, but I think that I am just trying to point out the beautiful things that are so often neglected. A conversation is beautiful. A moment is beautiful. A sky is beautiful. A man or woman's personality is beautiful. All of these things--nature, words, and people--point me to Ultimate Beauty Himeslf. The little things on earth that I recognize as beautiful are only a tool used for me to worship God. I cannot worship these things, but must allow them to draw me to God. In theological terms, Beauty is attributed to God because He possesses every desirable quality; He is lacking in nothing! So, although Lewis said that Beauty is revealed to few people, I pray that the followers of Christ will seek Beauty even more intently and worship him!

No comments: